Monday, October 24, 2011

Rarin' To Roast - Discount Cut Brings On Cooking Frenzy

I was at the grocery store the other day, just picking up some milk and eggs.  As is my usual custom, I paroosed the various aisles, just to keep current and to see if there was anything on sale to bring home for dinner.

Sure, we had hot dogs at home...some tuna...eggs....that sort of thing. This being the end of the month, it was to be expected.  What was also to be expected was for me to do something like I usually do. A souffle, casserole, or quiche would be predictable responses.  But I didn't want to do  "business as usual."  I wanted something different.

Ingredients for a roast
So once my listed needs were assured, it was time for The Hunt.  For a moment, I pictured being on the planes somewhere, foraging for sustenance for my brood and wondered what my prehistoric counterpart would make of our modern day "hunting ground."   Would they get the concept of meat already "off the hoof," prepackaged plant material and boxed cereal?

In my mind I played out a few moments of the scenario and realized that the poor cave person wouldn't even survive the parking lot, let alone the wonders inside that cavernous and well lit supermarket!  I caught an imagined glimpse at Ms. Neanderthal stalked and attacked one of the many S.U.V.s as it vied for a parking spot!  It wasn't pretty.

With a shake of the head I was instantly back at my post, leaning against the shopping cart at the veggie aisle.
The eggplants seemed like a good price until I looked at them.  Scuffed, pocked and dulling, they wouldn't be a good choice for main course.  As they age or get damaged, eggplants go sour.  I moved on.

There were plenty of other vegetables at home....and no shortage of green grocers in case of emergency, so I moved on.  Next stop was the specialty bread section, nope.

Along the back wall was the meat department.  This store has come a long way from when we first became acquainted.  Back then, about 15 years ago, I had to stop patronizing it because I questioned the sanitary conditions in the butcher's station.  It was one of those sections you could smell a mile away.

Just last year I finally had the chance to stop by again and boy!  What a difference!  They're apparently under new management, thank God.  The meat counter was immaculate, not a sour smell or hint of decomp to be had.

I stood before the gleaming open faced cabinets, scouting the terrain. Nobody seemed to be down by the Clearance bin, so that's where I went first.  There it was, buried beneath a package of chicken drumsticks a 2.7 lb boneless pork loin roast.  It would have to be used right away, but was a bargain at $2.50.

I staked my claim and made a bee line for the check-out line.

Once home, I settled in for a little cooking frenzy.

ROAST BONELESS LOIN OF PORK

2 lb. boneless loin of pork
3 cloves garlic, crushed
Crushing the rosemary
1 Tbs dried, crushed rosemary
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup olive oil
Splash of apple cider vinegar
2 Tbs butter or margarine
1 cup apple juice, stock or water


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.   Pierce roast all 'round with a fork.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Mix butter, dried rosemary crushed garlic, the splash of apple cider vinegar and 3 Tbs of olive oil in a bowl, rub roast both sides generously with this mixture.
Combine remaining olive oil with cup of liquid (juice, stock or water)
Spray oval baking pan and rack with release spray. Pour liquid into baking pan.
Place roasting rack into pan, place meat on rack fat side up.  Cover pan with aluminum foil. Bake for one hour, basting once.
Put meat thermometer into roast, baste once more then cover it and return it to the oven for another 45 minutes.  After 45 minutes, remove foil and let finish baking for another 15 minutes.  Internal temperature should be at 145 degrees.  Remove from the oven and let rest 10 minutes before carving.

Meanwhile,  strain the pan drippings, pour them into a sauce pan. Thicken with a mixture of 1 Tbsp. corn starch mixed with 1/4 cup of cooled broth, milk or cold water.  Season to taste and drizzle over meat servings.
So that's it.  How I turned an end of the month dinner into a culinary opportunity.  Sometimes the magic really does work!  If you have any recipes, suggestions, comments or anything feel free to submit them!
For now, enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. Do you ever cook vegetarian?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi James!
    Yes, I do cook vegetarian foods...check out the Eggplant Pizza recipe in this blog.
    More vegetarian dishes coming too!
    James, if you'd like please feel free to submit some recipes.
    I'll try them, photograph the effort and outcome and post them to the blog - giving you full credit, naturally!
    Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete

Submit Express SEO Services

Free Web Submission

Powered By Blogger